Detailed validated spine model developed in Leatt®-Lab using MSC.ADAMS LifeMOD™
- Incorporating ligaments, muscles and IV discs with non-linear stiffness functions with near correct Instantaneous Axes of Rotations (IAR)
- Data used for validation:
- Published cadaveric intervertebral stiffness tests
- In vivo intradiscal pressure measurements
- Surrogate spine head-drops (UBC)
- Published ligament stiffness values
- Published muscle pCSA’s
- Published Non-linear IV disc stiffness functions
Used to evaluate thoracic intradiscal force components in the event of a hyper-extension crash
It is the first publishable attempt at such a model incorporating a full functional spinal unit with non-linear IV disc stiffness.
With the model completed and validated, a typical impact scenario was run where the rider hits an object and the head and neck is forced into hyper-extension.